Exhibition News - 16 - 25 January 2015
Summer is in full swing and Constantiaberg Art Society members have excelled themselves again. The Summer Art Exhibition, held at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens between Friday 16 January and Sunday 25 January 2015, was a resounding success with ninety one paintings sold in 10 days. Twenty paintings were sold on the opening night.
We were most fortunate to have the esteemed artist, Cyril Coetzee http://www.cyrilcoetzee.co.za/biography.html to open our exhibition. He mingled with artists and appraised their work and had some most encouraging words to say about the high standard of work presented at the exhibition.
Congratulations to all the artists who sold paintings and thank you to all members who made this event so much of a success. The venue is one of outstanding beauty and draws viewers and buyers from South Africa and abroad. Fifty one members exhibited and, of that number, thirty one members sold at least one artwork. One artist sold eleven paintings. Fifty seven paintings were sold to local buyers and forty four international buyers.
27 January 2015 - Monthly Meeting - Demo - Skye Kennedy from The Italian Art ShopSkye Kennedy, from The Italian Art Shop, gave us a most informative talk, sharing tips and ideas on techniques available to artists. She described the growing demand for new and better products and educated us on:
- Paint quality and how important it is to buy the best that you can afford.
- The differences between artist and student quality materials
- How to choose the correct support for painting on.
- How to prepare a canvas or surface for painting
- The use of palette knives in painting
- Different mediums used in painting with oils, acrylic & watercolour
- How and when to varnish the end product.